Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Google Analytics

I installed Google Analytics onto the blog the other day, and after much fiddling, I got it to work. (I'm not that great at html) This is a wonderful thing!  If you have a blog and you don't have it, you really need to.   My favorite function of it so far is seeing who is reading my blog from not only other states, but the cities within the states as well.  I then play the guessing game on who is reading my blog in said state.


Here's a shot of the page I'm referring to. The states that are colored have people viewing my blog.  Notice that Missouri is the darkest.  Duh!  I live in Missouri, most of my friends are in Missouri.  Kansas is the next color.  Again, I have friends that live in Kansas and I'm literally  4 blocks from the state line.   Here's where the fun kicks in!  The other green states have views as well.  I can click on the state and get a picture like this:

I can now see that the one blog reader in Oklahoma came from the Tulsa area.  I'm going to assume that person is my Aunt Kay since she is in that area, but I could be wrong.

Here's what the Missouri page looks like:


I have multiple readers in Missouri in 7 different cities. Kansas City has the biggest views so it has the biggest shaded area.  Since I have multiple cities in this state I get a second report that looks like this:


I can now see that the view break down goes like this:  Kansas City (9), Warrensburg (5), Branson (2), Lee's Summit (2), Jefferson City (1), Independence (1), and Blue Springs (1).  Pretty spiffy if you ask me! 

I'm flattered that someone in Oak Grove, Kentucky is reading my blog because as far as I know I don't know anyone that lives there.  So thanks reader!


Even better I have a reader from CANADA!  A very special hello to you, my international reader! I hope that you are having a wonderful day! I don't know what the weather's like in Dartmouth, but I'm sure it's cooler than it is here in Missouri!


This application is pretty sweet in my book.  I'm going to work on getting people from around the world to visit my blog.  I'm just not sure how I will go about doing that, but I like the challenge. I want more countries to be in the green on my sign-in page.  The world is a big place and I'm only reaching a very small portion.


Seeing that people are reading my blog fuels me to do more posts and more often. I love blogging, but before I never knew if I had readers.  If you read my blog and have something come to mind, let me know.  I enjoy getting comments and hearing what others have to say about what I write.  My posts have been sparse because I wasn't feeling the love (hehe).  I now know that the love is out there, and I feel like posting more!


Comment on this post and tell me where you are from, let's see if Google Analytics is getting the locations correct. As well as the number of views from each city.

Keep reading readers!

5 comments:

AnneR said...

I'd love to do this, especially since my MIL tells me she gave my blog address out to, oh everyone she knows, but I fear that I am so behind technologically, that the attempt would cause swearing and bodily damage to my laptop. That said, I would be your reader from SH, KS.

The Schauble Family said...

So I have to ask.... I would like to know what I show up as on your map.... Do you have any crazy places or does Germany show up? Nice blog... I have been behind on my own blog and my family blog especially since Facebook came along.

The Schauble Family said...

So I have to ask.... I would like to know what I show up as on your map.... Do you have any crazy places or does Germany show up? Nice blog... I have been behind on my own blog and my family blog especially since Facebook came along.

Anonymous said...

I just checkout my Google Analytics and it states that I have 3 views from Russia, but none from Germany. However, there's a weird piece that is shaded that I wouldn't say is part of Russia, but it does.

Anonymous said...

I take back what I said about Germany not being listed. I just checked again and there you are! It reported that someone in Einsiedlerhof Germany viewed the blog.