Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Cake Balls

In my classroom, when the kiddos receive 50 compliments they earn a homemade treat from me.  I've been wanting to make cake balls for a while, so this was my excuse.  Here's what you'll need in order to make them.

1 box of cake mix (your choice)
1 can of frosting (again, your choice)
Almond bark (white or chocolate)

Step 1:  Make the cake as directed on the box.  It has to cool completely before you go onto the next step.   Thankfully, my mom has a double oven and I was able to bake all 3 cakes at the same time.  I choose chocolate, strawberry, and carrot. 
  
Step 2:  Crumble the cake into a mixing bowl.  It is extremely important that the cake is cooled before you do this step. 


Step 3:  Take your frosting of choice and mix it into the crumbled cake.  Make sure it's mixed well.  Once it's mixed place it in the freezer for several hours.  I had mine in the freezer over night. 


Step 4:  Take the cake/frosting mixture from the freezer and roll into balls.  I used a small cookie scoop.  I also lined my cookie sheets with wax paper, so that the balls wouldn't stick to the cookie sheet.  When the cookie sheet is full, place in the freezer for several hours.  These are strawberry and carrot cake. 

Step 5:  Melt the almond bark in the microwave until it's melted.  I did mine for a minute and half, stirred it, and then another 30 seconds.  Get something to use to help dip the balls.  Once the balls are dipped, place it back on the cookie sheet, and put into the freezer.   These are both strawberry cake balls.  It is VERY important that the balls are as cold as possible when you dip.  If they are not, it becomes difficult to dip.


Step 6:  After a few hours in the freezer take the cake balls off the cookie sheet and place into a zip-lock baggie.  You can keep them in the fridge or freezer at this point. 

If you are going to try this for the first time, I would stick with one batch.  I ended up with almost 200 cake balls with 3 different cake mixes.  Which means a lot of dipping!  I would put something on the TV to watch while you roll them out, and while you dip, otherwise you might go nuts!  

I'm pretty stoked on how these turned out.  Here's the combination that I made.  If you make these, let me know what you tried!

Devil's Food Chocolate Cake w/ Chocolate Frosting covered in Chocolate Almond Bark
Strawberry Cake w/ Vanilla Frosting covered in Chocolate Almond Bark
Strawberry Cake w/ Vanilla Frosting covered in White Chocolate Almond Bark
Carrot Cake w/ Cream Cheese Frosting covered in White Chocolate Almond Bark

Enjoy!!!

No comments: