Pages

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Somewhat Therapeutic

I am writing this while I watch my laundry spin in the dryer. I am not exactly sure what makes coming to the laundry mat relaxing and calming.  In all honesty, I LOATHE doing laundry. It takes so much time to wash everything, dry everything, then fold it, and finally put it away. I would much rather be doing something else.  However, coming to the laundry mat is a very different experience in and of its self from doing laundry at home.  

First of all, if you come at the right time of day ( which for our laundry mat is weekdays and Sunday mornings) there is hardly anyone around.  You get your run at the machines, and can wash five loads ( or more) at once.  That right there makes my day. Nothing like unloading all your baskets to get them all washing at the same time.   Second, its rather quiet. Again that goes along with number one of knowing the right time of day to come.  I can last Saturday in the morning and it was a nightmare. Everyone  and their brother was in here doing their laundry, and I had machines going throughout the entire laundry mat, which makes it difficult to watch your stuff. Lesson learned: only come Saturday morning if completely necessary.   Finally, you see an eclectic group of people at the laundry mat.  When I was here last weekend a mom was teaching her son math by playing UNO. She made him count off the left over cards and keep track of all the scores. Today a lady was working on a hand stitched quilt while her laundry was going. Then you have people like me who come in with their iPad and write a blog about doing laundry at a laundry mat, how profound. 

Like anything, there are pros and cons of doing your laundry at the mat, but for us the pros seem to out weigh the cons.  With moving in our very near future, we don't want to invest in a new washer if we cannot take it with us.  For now, we will make our little trips to the mat a few times a week to get what we need done.  It's always an adventure, that's for sure. 

No comments: